The Char Dham Yatra has been suspended by the Uttarakhand government this year in the wake of rising Covid-19 cases across the state. Chief Minister Tirath Singh Rawat said that only priests of the four temples will perform the rituals and puja.
“Conducting the yatra amid the raging pandemic is not possible. Only priests of the four temples at Badrinath, Kedarnath, Yamunotri and Gangotri will perform rituals and puja,” Chief Minister Tirath Singh Rawat said while announcing the decision.
The Char Dham Yatra was scheduled to begin on May 3 this year and the state government had earlier issued COVID advisories for pilgrims taking part in the religious Yatra. The Yatra is managed by the Char Dham Devsthanam Board.
Uttarakhand recorded the highest single-day jump of 6,054 new coronavirus cases on Wednesday, taking the tally since the pandemic broke out last year to 1,68,616. With 108 more deaths, the toll rose to 2,417.