Hometoday News

All accused in Mecca Masjid blast case acquitted due to lack of evidence

Published By :  Lasya Raghavaraju Image Image
All accused in Mecca Masjid blast case acquitted due to lack of evidence
16 April, 2018
A special NIA court in Hyderabad on Monday acquitted all five accused, including Nabakumar Sirkar alias Swamy Aseemanand, in the 2007 Mecca Masjid blast case. The court said that the investigation agency had failed to provide enough evidence to prove anyone's guilt.

Nine persons were killed and 58 were injured in the blast during Friday prayers at the historic mosque in Hyderabad on 18 May, 2007.  Five others were also killed after police opened fire to control a rioting mob. 

An initial investigation conducted by the local police after which the case was transferred to the Central Bureau Of Investigation (CBI), which then filed a charge sheet. The National Investigation Agency (NIA) took over the case from the CBI in 2011.

Ten persons, all members of Abhinav Bharat, including Nabakumar Sirkar alias Swami Aseemanand; Devender Gupta; Lokesh Sharma alias Ajay Tiwari, Lakshman Das Maharaj, Mohanlal Rateshwar and Rajender Chowdhary were named as accused in the case. 

The fourth additional metropolitan sessions-cum-special court for NIA cases had concluded the trial and last week posted the case for judgement on April 16.

While addressing the media the NIA said that they will examine the court judgment after getting a copy of the same.

"We will examine the court judgment after we get a copy of the same and decide further course of action."

   Bollywood Gossips

   Technology