Hometoday News

ISIS claims responsibility for Sri Lanka's Easter massacre

Published By :  Ravi Koneri Image Image
ISIS claims responsibility for Sri Lanka's Easter massacre
23 April, 2019
Two days after the Sri Lanka Easter massacre, the Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the dastardly attacks that left at least 321 people dead and more than 500 injured. 

A statement on the group’s official al-Amaq news agency made the claim on the encrypted messaging app Telegram saying the suicide bombers were “fighters of the Islamic State”. The group did not give evidence for its claim.

The statement came after an unconfirmed video posted to social media earlier by an affiliated group strongly suggested that the Islamic State was behind the Easter horror. The video showed photos of three of the alleged suicide bombers.

The men, who are described as “assailants” rather than the more common “martyrs”, were named as Abul Barra, Abul Mukhtar and Abu Ubaida and featured in front of a black IS flag giving the one-finger salute, the news.com of Australia said.

Earlier on Tuesday, Sri Lanka’s Defence Minister Ruwan Wijewardene said the Sunday attacks were a “retaliation” for last month’s Christchurch mosque shooting.

"The preliminary investigations have revealed that what happened in Sri Lanka (on Sunday) was in retaliation for the attack against Muslims in Christchurch," Wijewardene told Parliament.

The powerful blasts - six in quick succession on Easter morning and then two more hours later - left the island nation grieving. Dozens of other foreigners, including 8 Indians, are believed to be among those dead.

   Bollywood Gossips

   Technology